Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Quotes, Yeah!

As I was skimming across the, “Writing to Change the World,” book a came across this one quote that I found simply astonishing. It was on page two hundred and five. It was written by a man named Lewis Tomas, it read, “Viewed from a distance of the moon, the astonishing thing about Earth, catching the breath, is that it’s still alive.”
Why did I choose this? Well it all seemed to be a coincidence actually. It was just a Wednesday evening, I just got off of work and it was the end of the day. Well it was rather nice out there were some clouds rolling by in the dark sky. As I stopped halfway through my trip to my car I saw a bright light in the sky. It was the moon it looks like it was full. I thought to myself, “wasn’t the moon just over there in the sky.” Gosh things move fast, it was hard to believe that things still happen even though your life is moving at a cutthroat pace.
Also I couldn’t help but notice how bright it had shown through the dark sky. How it lit up the translucent clouds giving it a peaceful look. At this time I had stopped and was just staring at the moon. As I saw it was staring back. I couldn’t believe it, it was like looking at the moon for the first time. I am a creature of habit so I tend to be in a rut. And I was in that rut for a while. Anyways as I was looking at the moon I couldn’t help but think of why it was so darn bright. Well, I couldn’t help but think that the sun is always shining on the earth. As I was getting ready to end the day, the moon saw that, and at that same moment somebody else was waking up to start all over again.
This planet is always alive and breathing it just took me to look at the moon and a break in my routine to see that. It was just so eye opening from the daily mentality. And I thought that this quote was a convenient gateway to this thought.

1 comment: